Tri-Area Community Health Center at Ferrum provides student health services to the students of Ferrum College. Students are seen in the Health Center by appointment during regular business hours. Call 540-365-4469 to schedule an appointment (from a Ferrum College number call 9-365-4469). Health Center FAQs.
Hours of Operation
Friday – 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday – Closed
Eligibility and Fees
All full-time students, staff, faculty and dependents of staff and faculty are eligible for services provided by the Health Center as are members of the community. An appointment with the provider is handled like an appointment with any medical office. An appointment is required, health information is gathered, an assessment is done, and the visit is filed with the patient’s insurance carrier(s). Co-pays are collected at the time of service. There is no charge for basic services provided by the nursing staff.
The Health Center has a strict policy concerning confidentiality of medical records. Patient information will not be released to anyone without the student’s written consent. Health Center personnel MAY NOT provide information to parents of students 18 years of age or older unless their child has signed a written release form.
Students should bring the following to the Health Center when being seen:
- Original or copy of their insurance card
- Policy holder information including name, address, date of birth, social security number, employer, and employer address
- Information for the person responsible for payment.
Tri-Area Community Health Center Pharmacy
Tri-Area Community Health Center Pharmacy at Ferrum is located next door to the Health Center and provides prescription services as well as over-the-counter items. The Pharmacy accepts new and transferred prescriptions. Students should bring an original or a copy of their health insurance card when visiting the Pharmacy.
Specific medications provided to students free of charge:
Ferrum College students may receive the following items provided by the Health Center. Quantities are limited. These are for temporary relief of acute symptoms, not for long-term chronic conditions. In order to receive these items, a form may be completed in the Health Center or Pharmacy and presented.
- Allergy symptom relief: antihistamines and decongestants
- Cough/cold/throat relief: cough syrup, cough drops, throat lozenges, and throat spray
- Pain relief/fever reducer: acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and aspirin
- Stomach illness relief: anti-nausea, anti-diarrhea
- Minor wound care items: band-aids, antibiotic ointment, hydrogen peroxide, first aid
- cream, bandages, alcohol wipes
- Condoms: 5 condoms per request, discreetly packaged for your privacy
Payment of co-payment or deductible is expected at the time of service. Those with student health insurance provided through Ferrum College should be prepared to pay for prescriptions at the time of service and will need to submit receipts to the insurance company for reimbursement. Claim forms can be downloaded from http://www.eiia.org/ferrum.