Online Learning Resources
Tips and Reminders About Online Courses
- Please be sure to check your email frequently as this is how your professors will be communicating with you the most.
- Back up your work! You never know when the power is going to go out or have a computer issue. I recommend that all of you enable your Google Drive and backup your work there. Google Drive is available to all of you through your Gmail account. Here is a link on how to enable and download Google Drive: https://sites.google.com/a/tilburguniversity.edu/goinggoogle/getstarted-google-drive
- Login to Brightspace daily and check your assignments. Many of your professors are uploading assignments with due dates later in the week. However, it is still a good idea to login and make sure nothing has been uploaded that you missed.
- Contact your professors ASAP if you have limited or no Internet access at home!
- Find resources that are being provided by Internet and communications companies here: https://www.ferrum.edu/online-learning-resources/. Several Internet and cell phone companies are providing free Internet access or extended data and hotspot access during this time. Please look into these options if you need them.
- Use the Online Writing Center. You can find the Online Writing Center on Brightspace. You may need to search for it, but it should appear under your courses on Brightspace.
- Please contact Ferrum College’s 24/7 Brightspace Technical Support Center if you are having Brightspace issues. You can contact them at 1-877-325-7778. Email and Chat are also available through the following link: https://community.brightspace.com/support/s/contactsupport.
- Contact the Ferrum College Help Desk by submitting a Help Desk ticket on Porta if you have computer or other technical issues.
- Set reminders or alarms on your phone for course assignments and due dates.
- Ask your professors for help if you need it! We are here to help you and we want you to be successful in the course. We know that this is new to you and that you may need help.
What To Know
- Be sure to take all laptops (and even desktops), tablets/iPads, mobile devices, textbooks, calculators, lab manuals, and any other items that you normally need to do your coursework home with you.
- If you do not have a laptop or computer at home, you can check out a Chromebook or iPad from Stanley Library. However, please keep in mind that the library has a limited number of devices available for checkout. Please check those devices out as soon as possible if you need one.
- Check your email daily!
If You Have Limited Or No Internet Access
- If you do have limited or no Internet access at home, please email your professors to make arrangements for your course work as soon as possible. Additional options include:
- Making alternate arrangements with your professor in regards to completing and submitting coursework.
- Using your phone as a hotspot.
- Using public Wifi or Internet services. If you are concerned about going into public places that have Wifi, you may be able to access Wifi while sitting in your car in the parking lot.
- Using your phone to complete school work.
Special COVID-19 Internet Connection Deals or Plans
- Comcast Internet Essentials -Must qualify as “low income.” Other qualification criteria also apply, see website for details. First 2 months free, then may cancel or continue at regular cost (Currently $9.95mo +Tax). May also qualify for low cost desktop or laptop computer (Currently $150)
- AT&T Access -low-cost wireline home Internet service to qualifying households, $5 – $10mo + Tax
- Cox Cable -Limited-time, first month free of Connect2Compete service, $9.95/month thereafter. Until May 12, 2020, we are providing phone and remote desktop support through Cox Complete Care at no charge. Resources for discounted, refurbished equipment through our association with PCs for People.
- Charter Communications/Spectrum -will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
- Sprint -Coming soon, customers with metered data plans will receive unlimited data per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost. Sprint will provide customers with an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot data per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost. Customers with mobile hotspot-capable handsets who don’t have mobile hotspot today will now get 20GB as well per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost.
- Verizon -Although it appears at this time that Verizon is not making any concessions that will directly benefit the our community, the link has been included for convenience in the event that Verizon updates their COVID-19 response plans to include such concessions.
- T-Mobile -Is removing smartphone data caps for all customers, adding more hotspot data, free calling to severely impacted countries, free shipping and more. They plan to expand capacity for customers with compatible devices for 60 days by deploying 600 MHz spectrum from multiple companies. They’re also expanding roaming access for Sprint customers to use the T-Mobile network.
About Brightspace And Other Resources
- You can access Brightspace from your mobile device by downloading the Brightspace Pulse app.
- Be sure to keep up with your assignments and login to Brightspace daily. You can access Brightspace by going to https://ferrum.desire2learn.com/d2l/login.
- Keep in mind that you must take responsibility for logging into your courses daily. Some of your professors will choose to offer their courses via video streaming, while others may assign activities, discussion boards, or other assignments that are due at the end of the week or another time. You are still responsible for meeting those deadlines. Online courses require you to be responsible, diligent, proactive and self-directed.
- As a Ferrum College student, you have free access to Microsoft 365, Screencastify, Google Meet, Google Drive, and other Google products. Information on how to access these services will be provided on the Ferrum College webpage and via email in the next few days.
- Instructors may also provide you with instructions on how to use Zoom, Skype or other applications and software platforms.
- You can access resources, articles, and ebooks from Stanley Library off campus using the following instructions: https://www.ferrum.edu/stanley-library/off-campus-access-2/.
- The Ask a Librarian chat will also be available at the Stanley Library homepage.
- Academic support services will be available to all students via virtual means. If you need help with a course, tutoring, or other academic supports, please email email@example.com. Additional information regarding online academic support services will be emailed and posted on the Ferrum College website in the next few days.
Special Deal for Students
- Down Dog Yoga is offering free memberships on their apps (Down Dog, Yoga for Beginners, HIIT, Barre, and 7 Minute) until April 1. In response to the many school closures taking place, they are also extending the free period to July 1 for all students and teachers (K-12 and college) so that they can have access to wellness at home through the end of the semester. To access the free membership, please sign up with your .edu email address. If your school doesn’t use .edu emails, please reply to this email or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can extend the free membership to your school’s email domain. More info can be found at www.downdogapp.com.
- Beginning on Wednesday, March 18, the Writing Center will shift to online delivery of support.
- In this new virtual world, we’ll be maintaining our usual schedule of availability:
- Monday & Wednesday, 11:00 -1:30
- Tuesday & Thursday, 11:30-2:30
- Friday, 11:00-1:00
- When you need help with a writing project, go to your Brightspace page and click the box for Online Writing Center.
There you will find instructions for how to get the individualized feedback on your writing projects that the Writing Center faculty will continue to provide.
A Message From The Academic Resources Center Team
The Academic Resources Center team is here to provide assistance for any College student. While we are not in our offices we are available online to provide needed academic support for you. We are available to meet with students through email, phone or video-based conferencing. For help please email us at email@example.com.
The on-line services which are available to you include:
Academic coaching to help you with time management, study skills, test anxiety or test taking skills;
professional tutoring by the Panther Athletic Den tutors; and
some course specific tutoring through our PAL tutors (please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information).
We will also be available to offer online learning tips.
For students who are struggling with learning through the on-line format (and not for technical support), please email Michelle Carter at email@example.com.
- Math faculty will be virtually tutoring their students. Please contact your math professor for further information.
Nancy Beach will continue her work with students who need academic accommodations. She is holding specific online office hours each day where students will be able to chat with her in real time. For more information please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, if you have a course specific concern, please email your faculty member first. Please continue to utilize your professors’ office hours to have additional questions answered. They are your best resource during this time. Please be proactive in asking any questions that you may have.
These are challenging times, but together we can persist and be successful. Again, for any needed academic support please email us at email@example.com.
The ARC Team:
Nancy Beach firstname.lastname@example.org
Tyler Brubaker email@example.com
Michelle Carter firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Steele email@example.com
Dave Wiggins firstname.lastname@example.org
Donna Winge email@example.com
PAL Tutoring Schedule
Remember: All tutoring will take place virtually. You need to email the tutor to schedule an appointment (even if it is during their available times) so that they can expect and prepare to work with you. Below is the list of tutors who have agreed to work during this time, as well as contact information, the course and professor that they work with, and the days and times they are available for tutoring:
|BIO 110||Ghioca-Robrecht||Mikayla Morenofirstname.lastname@example.org||M 2-4 pm; T Anytime after 12 pm|
|BIO 255||Goff||Alexzondra Mattsonemail@example.com||M, T, W, Th 5-10 pm|
|BIO 255||Goff||Kyndra Powellfirstname.lastname@example.org||Schedule appointment|
|BIO 255||Goff||Natasha Sheltonemail@example.com||Anytime - schedule appointment|
|BIO 413||Brubaker||Cayla Stephensfirstname.lastname@example.org||Schedule appointment|
|CHM 103/104||ALL Faculty||Taylor Darnellemail@example.com||T/Th 4-5:30 pm|
|CHM 103/104/105||ALL Faculty||Caitlin Hodgesfirstname.lastname@example.org||Will update class weekly - schedule appointment|
|CHM 301/302||Grochowski||Caitlin Hodgesemail@example.com||Will update class weekly - schedule appointment|
|CHM 302||Grochowski||Alexzondra Mattsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||M, T, W, Th 5-10 pm|
|CHM 315||Smelkova||Caitlin Hodgesemail@example.com||Will update class weekly - schedule appointment|
|ENG 102||Whited||Amber Scottfirstname.lastname@example.org||Anytime - schedule appointment|
|HIS 102||Daniels||Nia Pettifordemail@example.com||T/Th 12-2 pm|
|MTH 208||Bowman||Caitlin Hodgesfirstname.lastname@example.org||Will update class weekly - schedule appointment|
|PSY 201||St. Peters||Cassidy Burkeemail@example.com||T/Th 7:30-9 pm|
|REL 111||Vanden Eckel||Jamie Gilbertfirstname.lastname@example.org||T 12:30-1:30 pm|
|REL 111||Howell||Lexi Davidsonemail@example.com||W 1-2 pm|
|REL 151||Wilds||Jamie Gilbertfirstname.lastname@example.org||M 1:30-2:30 pm|
|SOC 202||Wimmer||Molly Pattersonemail@example.com||T/Th 7:30-8:30 pm|
|THA 206||Blankenship-Tucker||Jamie Gilbertfirstname.lastname@example.org||W 1:30-2:30 pm|
Again, please schedule an appointment with the tutor so that they can expect to work with you. This is important because if they do not hear from you in advance, they may no longer be available during the listed day and time. Please contact the Academic Resources Center at email@example.com if you have any further questions. Thank you and good luck with your online studies!
For Fall Semester
- Your advisor will be in contact regarding scheduling for the fall semester. They will make arrangements with you for advising, which may occur via videoconferencing, telephone, email, or other means.