Reminders About Safety, Responsibilities & Resources
In addition to the educational opportunities in the classroom, we know that our students will also avail themselves of the wide variety of recreational and community activities.
All colleges struggle to achieve a healthy balance between freedom and responsibility as to the student experience. We want to emphasize that students must be mindful of the risks associated with alcohol and drug use. Further, students need to know about our expectations and commitment regarding sexual respect and sexual misconduct.
The safety and wellbeing of the campus community is something the Ferrum College Police Department takes very seriously. It is important for students to understand that off-campus properties, such as the one known as “trollville,” are rented or leased to students by private owners. Therefore, events held at these locales, even if hosted by Ferrum students, are not endorsed by the College. As students, in order for you to make informed decisions about the places you visit near the campus, it is imperative that you understand that Ferrum College does not sanction activities or gatherings held at off-campus housing.
As always, to promote personal welfare, we encourage every student to:
- Report suspicious activity to College Police at 540-365-4444
- Call 911 in the event of an emergency
- Remain vigilant for your own personal security
- Watch out for each other’s safety
- Keep your doors locked to prevent theft (auto and residence hall)
- Remember, “IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING!”
College police are available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week in the College Police office next to the Ferrum Mercantile on Rt. 40, at 540-365-4444. You can also call 911 in the event of an emergency.
If you ever encounter suspicious persons, vehicles or any activity that makes you feel uncomfortable, immediately contact College Police. If you are walking on campus you can also reach College Police by pressing the button at the Blue Light Call Boxes located between Riddick and Susanna Wesley on lakeside, at the tennis courts on Wiley Drive and in the College Police station parking lot.
Important Safety Tips when walking on campus:
- Travel in groups
- Familiarize yourself with campus
- Plan the safest route to your destination and at night stick to well-lighted areas and avoid “short cuts” through isolated areas
- Avoid wearing dark clothing when walking at night and always wear some sort of reflective gear
- Always tell a friend or roommate where you are going and what time you expect to return
- Stay alert to your surroundings and people around you
- Don’t engage in illegal activity, the consequences can be life altering
Important Safety Tips in the residence halls:
- Always lock your door when you and/or your roommate are sleeping and any time you leave your room
- Never prop open any residence hall doors
- Do not leave notes on your door stating that no one is home or when you will return, it’s an open invitation to a theft
- Keep wallets, purses, checkbooks and jewelry out of sight and locked up if possible
- Do not keep large sums of money or other valuables on hand, and routinely check your checkbook to see if any checks are missing
- Never allow strangers into your room
- Do not open your door at any time unless you know who is on the other side
- Always remember that RAs, HRs, and RHEs are excellent resources for advice on problems in your hall.
Title IX: Sexual Assault or Sexual Misconduct
If you are a victim of a sexual assault or sexual misconduct (or know someone who is a victim), there are resources to help and support you:
Ferrum College Police are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 540-365-4444
Dean of Campus Life and Title IX Coordinator: Call 540-365-4541
Residence Hall Educators and Resident Assistants located in your residence halls.