Menu icon Menu
Hero for Housing


At Ferrum College, the residential program is designed to promote students’ academic, social, emotional, and cultural well-being. Therefore, traditional students are generally required to live in residence halls or apartments during their period of attendance at Ferrum College.

Lakeside Area

Bassett/Village Area

New Students

A confirmation deposit must be paid before the housing process can begin. Once a new student has paid their deposit, a welcome email from Please Don’t Snore will be sent to your Ferrum email account. Once the housing profile has been created and a preferred roommate match has been made (if applicable), our housing team can begin placement. Please follow the checklist that has been provided by the admissions office. 

Living Off Campus

Students who are interested in living off campus may submit a Residential Requirement Waiver Application with the Office of Student Life.
Students who qualify as commuter students:

Common Questions and Concerns

I’m a Returning Student. How do I get housing for Next Year?

  • Please make sure your confirmation deposit is paid. If you are unable to pay your confirmation deposit before you sign up for housing, please contact the Office of Student Accounts in Spillman-Daniel House.
  • Each student must complete a housing application for the area(s) they are interested in living in for the upcoming semester.  Placement priority will go to applicants who have paid their confirmation deposit and those applicants with the highest number of credit hours completed by the end of the current semester.

As a reminder, if you have previously been granted a housing accommodation for a disability (including medical needs and assistance animals), updated documentation will be required for each academic year.

I want to commute from home or live off campus

Review our Residency Requirement and contact the Office of Student Life for a Residency Waiver.

What if I have an accommodation/special need for housing?

For injuries or temporary need for an accommodation or special housing, please contact the Office of Student Life at or (540) 365-4461.

Students who have a medical or psychological disability that requires a particular type of housing can request a special housing accommodations space. As defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, a disability is “a physical or mental impairment, which substantially limits one or more major life activities.”

Any requests for special accommodations for the upcoming academic year must be submitted to the Office of Accommodation Services. If you currently have a special accommodations space and wish to have one next year, you MUST reapply. Questions regarding the application process can be directed to the Office of Accommodations at (540) 365.4262.

  • Request and complete the Request for Medical Accommodation Form or the  Request for an Assistance Animal Form from the Office of Student Life. Submit your application by the stated deadlines.
  • Submit documentation as outlined on the application by the stated deadlines.
  • The Housing Accommodations Committee will meet to discuss all applications.
  • Notification will be made via email about the outcome of the application. If approved, the student will work with the appropriate College administrator as indicated in the approval letter. If the application is denied, it can be appealed in writing to the dean of students.
  • Please be advised that approval of an application does not necessarily guarantee the type of housing requested and is only applicable for the academic year in which it was submitted. Students must resubmit a new application and updated medical documentation each year that a request is made.

For students with newly diagnosed disabilities or acute situations, the request should be submitted as soon as it is determined that an accommodation is needed. 

Students Beyond the Binary

No two students are alike, and at Ferrum College we recognize this.  We work to ensure that all students have an opportunity to prosper. Students who inform Ferrum College Office of Student Life in a timely manner that they identify beyond the binary or as transgender will be housed in keeping with their gender identity, and every attempt will be made to give those students safe and comfortable housing.

What are breaks like? Can I stay on campus?

The residence halls close for all campus breaks. We do allow students to stay on campus for Fall Break, and Easter Break if they request permission from the Office of Student Life. Students should make arrangements to leave campus for Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break. Dining hours and staffing are limited over breaks.

My roommate and I aren’t getting along.

  1. Talk to your roommate. Most likely they are not aware that their actions are causing you concern. You can also start with a roommate agreement that has been created for you to agree on expectations for your room.
  2. Ask for assistance from the resident assistant (RA) on your floor. Very often, the Residence Life staff can help resolve your problem, usually by facilitating a meeting between you and your roommate.
  3. If resolution is not possible, Residence Life staff can assist you with the procedures and paperwork. Everyone must receive approval from an area coordinator before changing rooms.

What to bring

For Your Room:

  • Bath and hand towels
  • Twin sheets (regular length)
  • Pillows/pillowcases
  • Blankets/comforter
  • Mattress pad/cover
  • Small area rug
  • Kitchen supplies (cup, mug, glass, plate, silverware)
  • Small personal fan
  • Flashlight
  • Alarm clock
  • Trash can
  • Trash bags
  • Decorations
  • Curtains


  • Detergent
  • Fabric softener/dryer sheets
  • Laundry basket/bag
  • Coat hangers
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Disinfecting wipes
  • Broom/small vacuum

Personal/Medical Items

  • Personal appliances (hairdryer, electric shaver, etc.)
  • Toiletries and caddy or basket
  • Shower shoes
  • Prescription medication
  • First-aid supplies (Band-Aids, cough drops, ibuprofen, etc.)
  • Ear plugs
  • Hand sanitizer

For Your Studies

  • Calendar/scheduler
  • Backpack
  • Pens/pencils/highlighters
  • Desk lamp
  • Computer/laptop

Miscellaneous items

  • Sewing kit
  • Rain jacket/umbrella
  • Television
  • Headphones
  • Small refrigerator (less than 5 cubic feet)
  • Small microwave oven (1000 watts or less)
  • Surge protectors
  • Snacks

Something is wrong/broken in my room or on my hall.

You can contact maintenance by emailing or contact your RA or AC and they will request a work order on your behalf. If there is an emergency or urgent need (e.g., flooding, electricity out, etc.), please contact your RA, AC, or Campus Police.