Spring 2020 Programs
The following events are happening this spring! Some require sign-ups, so if you’re interested, make sure you put in your name now!
- Every Tuesday: 10:30-11:30 Cookies/snacks with International Programs. This is a time to get together, take a breather, listen to music and check in. This will start as soon as the new Center for International Programs opens.
- Every Wednesday: Inquiring Minds 4:00 in the library. Keep an eye out for the topics. They’ll be posted around campus!
- January 21: Mandatory meeting for all international students at 5:00 in Library 201.
- January 22: Club Fair! Club Fair will be in Franklin Hall from 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm. This is a chance for you to meet students who have similar interests and to join campus clubs and organizations.
- January 24: Ruandi, by Cuban playwright Gerardo Fulleda. This is a free event at Ferrum’s Sale Theatre. For more information click here.
- February 1: Lunar New Year celebration at the Taubman Museum in Roanoke. There will be dragon dances, martial arts performances, music, paper lanterns, rat masks, bamboo brush paintings, and more! Spots are limited. Click here for the sign-up form.
- February 4: Workshop: Gilman Boren, and more…this workshop is for students who are applying for study abroad scholarships. Please come with a laptop and be ready to work on your scholarship application. Click here for the sign-up form.
- February 13: Lecture by Dr. Meena Pillai, Fulbright Outreach Lecturer, visiting from the University of Kerala in India, through the University of California at Los Angeles. 6:00 pm in the Blue Ridge Mountain Room. Lecture title: New Geographies of Women’s Digital Dissent.
- February 14: Question and Answer session with Dr. Pillai at 9:00 am in the Panther’s Den: Why do we love to hate feminism?
- February 15: Day outing with Ferrum Outside and International Programs: Visit Dixie Caverns, hike to Falling Ridge waterfall, and end the day with some time in downtown Roanoke. Bag lunches will be provided. Space is limited, so be sure to fill out the sign-up form.
- February 18: 4:30 pm, visiting lecture by Dr. Alba Arias Álvarez, sponsored by the Virginia Latino Higher Education Network.
- March 22: Adventure Challenge! We will have teams competing for an adventure challenge on campus. This is a Ferrum Outdoors event. Keep an eye out for more information as this comes closer. We want to have a couple of teams of international students and friends who can participate!
- April 17: Movies in Rocky Mount–Go see the latest James Bond film, No Time to Die. Click here to sign up.
We’re still finalizing a few more events, so keep an eye out here!
The new Center for International Programs will open this semester in the lower level of the library. This space will allow for new kinds of programming and more services. Keep an eye out for news about the opening celebration and subsequent programming.