In compliance with the provisions of the Federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1988 Ferrum College is giving notice of crimes that have occurred on campus.
The Police Department encourages accurate and prompt reporting of all crimes to the campus police or an appropriate police agency.
The department is located in the 10021 Franklin Street, Ferrum Virginia 24088, adjacent to the Ferrum Mercantile.
For non-emergency calls, dial (540) 365-4255 to contact the Police Department.
After hours, you may dial (540) 365-4444 to contact the Police Department.
For emergency calls, dial 911!
Subject: Crime Alert – Sexual Assault
On Sunday, March 18, 2018, the Ferrum College Police Department took a report of a sexual assault that occurred on Sunday, March 18, 2018 at approximately 01:30 am. The incident took place at 55 Woodcot Rd (Village East Apartments), on the campus of Ferrum College. The survivor and offender are both Ferrum College students who were previously acquainted.
This information is being released in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to keep and disclose information about crime on and near their respective campuses, including timely warnings of crimes that may represent a serious or ongoing threat to the safety of students or employees.
The Ferrum College Police Department reminds all community members of the following information about sexual assault. Note that this information is general in nature and does not necessarily relate to any specific incident:
- According to a US Department of Justice report, one in every five college women and one in every sixteen college men will be the victim of a sexual assault or attempted sexual assault during their time in college.
- Survivors are never responsible for the offenders’ behavior.
- The most common type of sexual assault is not by a stranger but by someone the victim knows, typically a date or acquaintance.
- Alcohol and drugs are often used to create vulnerability to sexual assault. Studies of sexual assault incidents show a high correlation between acquaintance rape and drug/alcohol usage. Be alert to people pressuring you or others to use alcohol or other drugs.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uneasy or sense something is wrong, do what you can to get out of that situation or call for assistance.
- Use and encourage others to have a companion or a safe means of getting home, i.e., a trusted friend, taxi, or Ferrum College Police safety escort.
- Be active in supporting a safe and respectful community. If you see others engaging in disrespectful or inappropriate actions, speak up and get involved, or contact someone else to assist.
- If you engage in sexual activity, be sure you understand your partner’s limits, and communicate your own limits clearly. Don’t engage in sexual activities without affirmative consent from your partner.
- If you have imminent concerns for the safety of others, call the police to ask for assistance.
If you are sexually assaulted, you have several options. Please see related information at this website: http://www.ferrum.edu/title-ix-information/ the website has guidance for filing anonymous or formal reports. In addition, assistance is available through the following resources:
- Carilion Franklin Memorial: 540-483-5277
- Piedmont Community Services: 540-483-0582
- Title IX Resources: http://www.ferrum.edu/title-ix-information/
- Nicole Lenez: Title IX Coordinator: 540-365-4461
- Chris Chandler: Deputy Title IX Coordinator: 540-365-4287
- Ferrum Counseling Center: 540-365-4219
- Dean of Students Office: 540-365-4461
- Ferrum College Police Department: 540-365-4444
If you report a sexual assault that occurred on the Ferrum College campus, Ferrum College Police will investigate, provide assistance, and offer related services to support your safety and well-being. If the crime occurred in another jurisdiction, Ferrum College Police will assist you in accessing assistance in that jurisdiction.
The Ferrum College Police Department offers a range of personal safety programs, including a Rape Aggression Defense courses. For more information contact Ferrum College Police at 540-365-4444.
Crime Alert: UPDATE 3/31/17
To the Ferrum College and Ferrum Communities,
The subjects involved in the robbery that resulted in yesterday’s Crime Alert have been identified. Appropriate action has been taken to protect our campus community.
In addition, Ferrum College police will be presenting the case to the Commonwealth Attorney for indictment and prosecution.
We would like to thank the community for being vigilant and sharing information that helps keep our campus safe.
Crime Alert: 03/30/2017
To the Ferrum College and Ferrum Communities,
In compliance with the provisions of the Federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1988 Ferrum College is giving notice of a Robbery on campus.
Brief description of how the crime took place:
On March 29th, 2017, late afternoon hours, Ferrum College Police were notified of a robbery that had occurred on campus. This took place in the early morning hours in residential housing. The victim, a current student, stated he had opened his door for 3 unknown, non-student subjects. They forced their way into the room. Once inside they took several items including a wallet and cell phone then left without further incident.
Ferrum College Police continue to investigate this incident.
Ferrum College Police remind members of the community of the following:
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts.
- Never open your door if you cannot identify who is on the other side of the door.
- Report all suspicious people and circumstances immediately.
- Be cautious in confronting suspicious persons. Call Ferrum College Police.
Anyone with information pertaining to this crime can contact the Ferrum College Police Department (24/7) at (540) 365-4444 or Ferrum College website anonymously.