The Blue Ridge Institute & Museum of Ferrum College is once again looking for musicians and bands who have never before performed at FloydFest to play Roots & Americana music on the College-sponsored Workshop Porch Stage at FloydFest 17 on July 26 – 30, 2017. The selected musicians/bands will play one set per day at least two of the five festival days. This is great opportunity to showcase your talents before a large music-loving audience, AND you will be an automatic contender in Floydfest 17’s On the Rise competition.
We are incredibly proud that bands who were among our Workshop Porch Musician/Band Contest finalists went on to be the BIG On the Rise (OtR) winners at FloydFest! Congratulations to LOOK HOMEWARD, the 2015 OtR winner, and SWAMPCANDY, the 2014 OtR winner. Look Homeward was the FloydFest 14 OtR winner after being selected to play through our 2015 Workshop Porch Musician/Band Contest! In addition, the FloydFest 13 OtR Competition First Place Winner, Swampcandy, AND the OtR Runner-up, Annabelle’s Curse, both played the Workshop Porch in 2014 because they entered our Contest and were selected to play.
In a nutshell, here’s how it works: Get your audition materials to the Blue Ridge Institute & Museum, making sure they are postmarked by Friday, March 31, 2017. The BRI&M staff will select a list of semi-finalists and send it to the Floydfest folks. The Floydfest folks will select the winning artists and create the performance schedules.
- While there is no cash payment, the selected musicians/bands will automatically be “On the Rise Series” artist competitors eligible to win great prizes including a paying gig at the 2018 FloydFest.
- All participating “On the Rise Series” competitors receive artist credentials for each musician/band member and other perks including libations, onsite artist camping, onsite artist parking, and artist information on the FloydFest website and in the FloydFest program. In addition, each musician/band member will receive an extra pass for his or her guest.
- Instruments played should include those traditionally found in the Blue Ridge.
- For consideration, musicians/bands must submit at least two representative songs, plus a musician/band photograph, via electronic press kit (to firstname.lastname@example.org) or CD/DVD (mailed to Workshop Porch, c/o Blue Ridge Institute & Museum, P.O. Box 1000, Ferrum, VA 24088.) YouTube or other music video links are strongly encouraged but not required.
- If emailing an electronic press kit, please include “Workshop Porch Players Musician/Band Contest Submission” in the subject line.
- Submissions must be postmarked by Friday, March 31, 2017. No exceptions!
- From a list of semi-finalists, FloydFest producers will chose the musicians/bands to play the Workshop Porch & other stages. Selected musicians/bands will be notified in April 2017.
- For more information, call 540-365-4412 or email email@example.com
Entry DEADLINE: All entries must be POSTMARKED by Friday, March 31, 2017. NO EXCEPTIONS!
The winning artists will:
- Perform on the Workshop Stage and possibly other stages.
- Play at least one set per day at least two days of the festival.
- Receive artist passes, guest passes, onsite artist parking, onsite artist camping, and libations.
- Be featured on the Floydfest website and in the printed program.
- Be automatically entered in Floydfest 17’s On the Rise competition (which has its own rewards.)