Ferrum’s First Year Volunteer Exploration
- New initiative from FOSL to provide all first year students with the opportunity to
engage in at least 2 hours of volunteer service during fall semester.
- During the Gateway Weekend Service Learning Challenge, first year students will learn
about and choose from among the volunteer opportunities that community partners have
- Utilizing student choices, the Ferrum Office of Service Learning (FOSL) will determine
placements to make sure there is a good balance with community needs and student interests.
- Students will be notified to come by the FOSL to sign a “contract” showing that they
are committed to carrying out the placement at the appointed time and place
Through FFYVE ALIVE...
- Become physically and mentally engaged in an organized project that serves the community
- Discover, first hand, how personal interests and skills match with efforts to address
a community need
- Become familiar with people in a nearby communities who can serve as leadership role
- Seek out opportunities to use the volunteer experience in a classroom or club environment