Ecotourism - Minor
Ecotourism is one of the fastest growing and significant trends in today's tourism industry. Ecotourism is the business of sustainable travel to natural and scenic destinations in every corner of the world.
Ecotourism supports environmental and cultural conservation while developing local economic development. A minor in ecotourism will equip Ferrum students to work in the tourism industry in exotic destinations and even in their hometown. These students will have the opportunity to become industry leaders in this rapidly expanding field!
To begin your Ecotourism adventure, talk to your advisor and register for REC 265: Foundations of Ecotourism.
It is offered every spring semester.
Also check out E-Term REC 372
: Costa Rica Eco-Adventure offered May 2011. Register during spring semester.
Check out photos from the latest Ecotourism trips on Flickr
Requirements for an Ecotourism minor:
- REC 265 Foundations of Ecotourism 3
- REC 335 Ecotourism Administration 3
- REC 421 Issues in Sustainable & Ecotourism 3
- ESC 313 Natural Resource Management 3
Select 6 credits from:
- ECO 315 Environmental and Natural Resource Economics 3
- ESC/SAB 207 South Africa Ecology and Culture 4
- REC 372 Eco-Adventure 3
- REC 390 Community Tourism Development 3
- REC 391 Culture & Heritage Tourism 3
- REC 475 Special Topics in Recreation & Leisure 3