Wednesday, February 25, 2015
As we continue to assist the Franklin County Sheriff Office with an off campus investigation,
we ask anyone with information regarding an aggravated assault that occurred on September
9, 2014 at the “Baseball” apartments on Nolen Hill Road to please call the Franklin
County Sheriff Office at 540-483-3002 and speak with Investigator JP Nolen or contact
Ferrum College Police at 540-365-4444. You do not have to give your name.
You may also report the crime anonymously online using this form.
Thank you for any assistance provided,
Chief Jim Owens
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Over the past couple of weeks and this weekend being the most recent, we have had
several signs around campus damaged or removed and lighting broken. There has also
been some vehicles four wheeling in the golf area of the college off Old Ferrum Road
causing turf damage.
If anyone has information about these acts of vandalism please contact Campus Police,
you do not need to give your name.
You can contact us several ways:
- Call Campus Police directly at 365-4444 (you do not need to give your name)
- Use the “Campus Conduct Hotline” option on the Ferrum portal (confidential and anonymous, simply dial toll-free to 866.943.5787)
- Report the crime anonymously online
Thank you for any assistance in stopping this activity.
Friday, January 16, 2015
Update to the report earlier this week of individuals in a tan-colored van behaving inappropriately
and verbally harassing Ferrum College students:
After reviewing video tape, speaking to students, consulting with the Franklin County
Sheriff’s Office and area businesses, we gleaned no further information to assist
in the identification of the subjects involved, nor have there been any similar reports
in the Ferrum area. We will continue to investigate as new information becomes available.
Tuesday, January 13, 2015
College Police are investigating a report of individuals in a tan-colored van behaving inappropriately
and verbally harassing Ferrum College students.
College police are available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week in the College Police office
next to the Ferrum Mercantile on Rt. 40, at 540-365-4444. You can also call 911 in
the event of an emergency.
If you ever encounter suspicious persons, vehicles or any activity that makes you
feel uncomfortable, immediately contact College Police. If you are walking on campus you can also reach College Police by pressing the button
at the Blue Light Call Boxes located between Riddick and Susanna Wesley on lakeside,
at the tennis courts on Wiley Drive and in the College Police station parking lot.
Important Safety Tips when walking on campus:
- Travel in groups
- Familiarize yourself with campus
- Plan the safest route to your destination and at night stick to well-lighted areas
and avoid "short cuts" through isolated areas
- Avoid wearing dark clothing when walking at night and always wear some sort of reflective gear
- Always tell a friend or roommate where you are going and what time you expect to return
- Stay alert to your surroundings and people around you
- Don’t engage in illegal activity, the consequences can be life altering
Important Safety Tips in the residence halls:
- Always lock your door when you and/or your roommate are sleeping and any time you
leave your room
- Never prop open any residence hall doors
- Do not leave notes on your door stating that no one is home or when you will return,
it's an open invitation to a theft
- Keep wallets, purses, checkbooks and jewelry out of sight and locked up if possible
- Do not keep large sums of money or other valuables on hand, and routinely check your
checkbook to see if any checks are missing
- Never allow strangers into your room
- Do not open your door at any time unless you know who is on the other side
- Always remember that RA's and RC’s are excellent resources for advice on problems
in your hall.