Professor of Environmental Sciences and Biology
School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
BS, Florida Southern College
MS, Unversity of Georgia
Ph.D, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
View my Curriculum Vitae
Office phone: (540) 365-4368
Personal web page: http://www2.ferrum.edu/cthomas
Office: Garber 119
Teaching at Ferrum since: 1979
My passion and profession is helping solve the World's water pollution problems and
specifically Virginia's water pollution issues. If you've always enjoyed working in
the outdoors around water, I'm the person to talk to! I am involved in many current
projects that I need student assistance with. Please feel free to send me an email
or give me a call and we can talk about them.
- Aquatic Ecology
- Invertebrate Zoology
- Pollution Science
- Geology and Hydrology
- Introduction to Environmental Sciences
- Healthy Human Body
- Human Diseases
- Enviromental Policy and Planning
- Thomas, Carolyn L, David M. Johnson, Carol C. Love, Jason D. Powell, and Delia R.
Heck, The Smith Mountain Lake 2007 Report. Ferrum, VA. April 2008
- Thomas, Carolyn Jason Powell, Carol Love, & David Johnson, Ferrum College Water Quality
Procedures Manual, published by Ferrum College, Revised August 2007 and June 2008
Thomas. Carolyn and David Johnson. Published, The Claytor Lake 2006 and 2007 Report.
and Poster Ferrum, VA. May 2007 and 2008.
- Simmons, Jeffrey A., Bill Currie, Keith Eshleman, Karen Kuers, Susan Monteleone, Tim
Negley, Bob Pohlad and Carolyn Thomas. FOREST TO RECLAIMED MINE LAND USE CHANGE LEADS
TO ALTERED ECOSYSTEM STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION Publication in Ecological Applications,
18(1), 2008, pp. 104-118__2008 published by the Ecological Society of America. 2008.
- Dr. Thomas is interested in research onmicrobial ecology, water quality in lakes and
streams, nutrient dynamics in lakes and reservoirs and in leaf decompostion in mountain
- Dr. Thomas is Director of the Smith Mountain Lake Water Quality Monitoring Project
for 22 years.
- Dr. Thomas is Director of the Claytor Lake Water Quality Monitoring Project for 14
- Dr. Thomas is Director of the Smith Mountain Lake Boater and Marina Owners Education
Program sponsored by the Virginia Department of Health for 12 years.
- 4.Dr. Thomas is co director of the CAWS project : Collaboration through Appalachian
Watershed Studies and codirewctor of the Ferrum Mountain Creek Waterhed Study Site.
» School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics home page
» View all Natural Sciences and Mathematics faculty
» View all faculty profiles