The human resources department is located at 109 Ferrum Mountain Road.
Faculty appointments begin in August, except where noted otherwise. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will remain open until filled, unless noted otherwise in the description below. All candidates must provide evidence of ability to teach effectively at the undergraduate level and have a commitment to liberal arts education. Ferrum College offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life, STD/LTD insurances, paid holidays, personal and sick leave and vacation; and a 403(b) retirement plan. A letter of application including curriculum vitae, evidence of teaching, a statement of teaching philosophy, and evidence of scholarship and research, copies of graduate transcripts,and at least three recent letters of recommendation should be sent to Human Resources, Ferrum College, P.O. Box 1000, Ferrum, VA 24088 or complete email applications can be sent as PDF or Word file attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Background check required.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology
Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology and Agricultural Sciences
The School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at Ferrum College invites applications and nominations for two tenure-track positions in Biology: Asst/Assoc Professor of Organismal Biology and Asst/Assoc Professor of Plant Biology/Horticulture. Faculty in these positions will be expected to teach introductory courses to majors and special topics courses of general interest for non-majors as well as the specialty courses listed below.
- Organismal Biology. The successful applicant will be required to teach courses in Nutrition, Anatomy and Physiology, and the ability to teach Microbiology, Vertebrate Biology, and/or Immunology would be an advantage. Under the leadership of our new President and Provost, Ferrum College is undergoing exciting program revision and expansion, notably in the area of Health Sciences. The person hired into this position will be extensively involved in the development and delivery of pre-requisite courses for professional health degrees.
- Plant Biology/Horticulture. The successful applicant will hold a joint position in the Agricultural Sciences and Biology Programs and be required to teach Plant Biology, Sustainable Landscape Design, Plant Propagation and Greenhouse Management. The College recognizes the ever-growing demand for sustainable landscaping and wishes to take advantage of the opportunities of the region in which the College is located. The ability to teach upper-level courses in Field Botany, Soil Science, and/or Quantitative Environmental Methods and Statistics would be advantageous. Applicants with research interests in sustainability and community engagement, are encouraged to apply as there are many opportunities to collaborate in new initiatives with colleagues in Environmental Studies and other programs across campus.
Candidates will be expected to develop a research program that involves undergraduates, is attainable given our resources and, ideally, involves engagement with/in the local community. In order of importance, successful applicants will be expected to be an inspiring and dedicated teacher, to engage in campus and local service, and to maintain an active research program.
Responsibilities: TEACHING: Faculty teach a 4/4 teaching load, with optional experiential May Term (eTerm). Our faculty serve as mentors and advisors to our students and supervise internships. All candidates must provide evidence of ability to teach effectively at the undergraduate level and possess a commitment to a robust liberal studies education. SCHOLARSHIP: A successful candidate will provide evidence of ongoing scholarship, publication, and/or presentation activity through appropriate professional venues and involvement in scholarly projects. SERVICE: Our faculty fully participate in leadership activities and fulfill leadership roles pertaining to faculty governance at the College-wide, School, Program, and disciplinary level.
The successful candidate will be expected to have a conferred Ph.D. in Biology by August 2019 and must demonstrate a record of college or university teaching experience.
Application Process: A comprehensive review of applications will begin immediately; unless noted otherwise in the description below, the position will remain open until filled. Ferrum College offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, life, STD/LTD insurances, paid holidays, and a 403(b) retirement plan. Interested applicants should submit the following:
- A letter of application
- A curriculum vitae
- Evidence of teaching
- A statement of teaching philosophy
- Sample syllabi for one lower division survey course and one upper division course
- Evidence of scholarship and research
- Copies of graduate transcripts
- TWO recent letters of recommendation addressing teaching effectiveness
Completed applications may be submitted to: Office of Human Resources, Ferrum College, P.O. Box 1000, Ferrum, VA 24088
Electronic submissions (PDF or Word file attachments) may be emailed to email@example.com
Please Note: A background check is required.
Adjunct Instructor of French
Ferrum College seeks applications for the position of adjunct Instructor of French to teach French 101 and French 102 on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule for the spring 2019 semester. The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to undergraduate education, have at least a Master’s degree in French or related humanities field with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in French courses, and enjoy teaching and working closely with students. Undergraduate teaching experience preferred. Complete email applications including curriculum vitae, copies of graduate transcripts, and contact information for at least three references should be sent as PDF or Word file attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org or Ferrum College, Human Resources, PO Box 1000, Ferrum, VA 24088. Background check required. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled. Contact Dr. David Howell, Dean of Arts & Humanities, email@example.com with questions.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.